How to Find the Best Kitchen Designer on Long Island or Anywhere
Finding the best kitchen designer on Long Island is easy because they are all at Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly. All kidding aside, we encourage you to do your homework so you can find the best kitchen designer to build your dream kitchen the right way. Whether or not you are buying a kitchen from us, we love to help people with general questions; so, ask away here on our contact form and consider these 20 important points when researching which kitchen remodeling contractor to use.
1. Make sure you are speaking with an actual designer and not a cabinet salesperson. Good designers have extensive design experience and certifications (CKD, CBD, CR, ASID, etc).
2. Google them. Google kitchen designers, contractors, and remodeling firms in your area (in our case Long Island, NY), and visit their websites and social media outlets such as Twitter, YouTube, Houzz, Pinterest, and Facebook. Read online reviews and testimonials. Look at the information they have posted on their sites and see what kind of finished projects they have done. A well-established kitchen and bath showroom will have their history listed on their website as well as their services, contact information, and directions to their showroom.
3. Visit their showrooms: Look at the products they carry and the level of design detail on display. Talk with a designer. It is much easier to work with a kitchen designer that can provide a “start-to-finish” project for you. Having someone who will help you pick out your cabinets, countertops, backsplash tile, flooring, lighting, molding details, fixtures, etc. is a luxury. Sharing your wish list and benefiting from their expertise will lead to a much better result. Some companies (including us) will also design and provide cabinetry only for those that have their own general contractors or builders.
4. Ask for several referrals: In addition to speaking with referrals, ask if it is possible for you to visit and see an actual finished kitchen project.
5. Ask to see a portfolio of photos of actual work they’ve done.
6. Ask them to show you an example of a current project folder to see the way it is presented and the CAD files. How are the plans rendered, and how well is the job folder organized?
7. Ask how long they’ve been doing business under their current name. Do your research and check to see if they’ve operated their business under any other name. Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly has done business under the same name and management for 30+ years.
8. Ask about the quality of the cabinets, countertop materials, fixtures, and appliances they use.
9. Ask if they offer a detailed written contract, and ask to see an example of an executed contract. You don’t want to be surprised by additional expenses. Be mindful of contractors that bid low to get your business and are vague on the details. You don’t want to be in a situation where prices are raised after the project has begun. Also ask how are change orders handled.
10. Ask if they have a project management team to ensure the project stays on schedule and on budget. We assign a Kitchens Designs by Ken Kelly employee (not a subcontractor) as the lead Forman / manager who is responsible for your project and is always available to you via email and phone.
11. Ask if the designer will assist you in obtaining the miscellaneous parts and pieces or are you left on your own to find and supply them.
12. Ask about their standards for cleanliness.
13. Ask what type and how much insurance they carry. Be sure they carry liability, disability, and worker’s compensation insurance. If your contractor is not covered, you may be liable if any workers are injured on your property. Make sure your contractor carries all three. Most contractors carry the minimum policy. Kitchen Designs carries a multi-million dollar policy so our clients have complete peace of mind when we are working in their homes.
14. Ask if the the company and the electricians and plumbers are licensed and insured by the state of New York. (or by your state)
15. Ask what professional organizations they belong to. Look for designers who are members of industry-related organizations such as the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA).
16. Check the remodeling contractor’s reputation with the local Office of Consumer Affairs or the Better Business Bureau. See if there are any questionable records on file.
17. Ask friends, neighbors, and people you know about their experience with the kitchen remodeling company they used, and ask them if they were happy with everything.
18. Ask if the kitchen remodeling company can provide a timeline of their work process. (See ours here in this post)
19. Ask about the warranty you will receive and make sure you understand it. If they don’t offer a warranty or if the warranty is very short, that should be a red flag.
20. Follow your instincts. Do you feel comfortable working with this firm and do you trust them?
After you do your research and are armed with the above information, you will be able to determine which company will give you the absolute best result within your budget.
… or you could just come to Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly, Inc. first and save yourself all that time and energy … We know you’ll love our offerings:
- An award-winning design team.
- A staff that is continuously receiving education and training in every aspect of design.
- Ongoing outstanding service and excellent communication. We support our clients before, during, and long after the job is complete.
- Professional start-to-finish installation coordinating every aspect of your project including all the general contracting, tradespeople, schedules, and project details from design and cabinetry to installation of fixtures, countertops, flooring, windows, and lighting to ensure a seamless installation
- The best selection of the highest quality products and appliances from brands you trust. We represent superior manufacturers of cabinetry, countertops, appliances, and fixtures.
- Expert, talented field teams & installers that do quality work.
- A very strong, organized administration that knows how to execute a project and deliver the best possible finished result.
- If you have your own builder or contractor, we can also provide design services and supply of cabinetry only.
- Remarkable design that ensures your kitchen is planned to make the most of your lifestyle, work habits, taste, and budget.
- 30+ year established reputation built upon honesty, trust, and respect. Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly is known for exceeding client expectations. 516-746-3435.
Posted by Grace Kelly in Learn, How Tos, Planning, Kitchen Design | © Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly, Inc, Showroom locations: 26 Hillside Avenue, Williston Park, NY 516-746-3435 – 11 Bridge Street, Sag Harbor, NY 631-808-3116