1. Why should I chose Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly to do my project? The company has been in business 27 years with 90 percent of our sales from client referrals, which is a real testimony to our commitment to performance. Thanks to our clients, we are the #1 Wood Mode dealer in NY. Our team has been together for a long time handling every aspect of ordering, delivery, project management, and installation. We meet our clients' budgets and are on schedule with our work because we have an efficient project management and installation procedure that gets all the components correct. Our designers love working here because they have a support team behind them. Design is how we get everything right for our clients. Design gets the right result and is how a good kitchen becomes a great kitchen. Design gets us to the right budget without compromise, and design is why a client will love the kitchen every day they use it, live in it, and entertain in it. In addition, Kitchen Designs is always improving. Right now, we are expanding--bringing in new looks, new products, new displays, and increasing our showroom space.
2. How much will is cost to remodel our kitchen? Kitchens are like most anything else that you purchase: the costs are entirely dependent on the price of the materials chosen and the complexity of the job. An industry rule of thumb is to consider 10-20% of the house's market value when estimating a kitchen remodel. It is good to keep in mind that a remodeled kitchen is an investment that will increase the value of your home. We offer cabinetry at many different price levels to fit your budget and give you the best design within that budget.
3. How long will it take to remodel our kitchen? A small job will take less time to complete; larger or more complex jobs take more time. There are three phases to the complete project. Phase One is The Design Phase. We are capable of moving very quickly through the Design Phase. In some cases, clients will take from several weeks to several months to make final decisions on the style and the finish of their cabinetry. In addition to the cabinet choices, decisions on countertops, appliances, back splashes, and flooring also need to be made. Once those decisions have been made, we can order the cabinets and phase two begins. Phase Two: Cabinet Lead Time. Lead time varies from manufacturer to manufacturer but typically takes approximately 8-12 weeks to be delivered. Phase Three: Job Completion Stage. From the start of the demolition, through renovation, to a fully working kitchen is typically 8 weeks. Times will vary based on the complexity of the job, and your designer will be able to give you a more specific time frame based on your job requirements.
4. Are your services limited to kitchens and baths? NO, absolutely not! We are often commissioned to design and provide cabinetry for all the rooms in your home. Visit our "other rooms" gallery and see some of our projects. We often design Entertainment Centers, Bookcases, Closets, Wet Bars, Wine Cellars, Bars, Laundry Rooms, Mud Rooms, Garages, Basements, Outdoor Kitchens and more. In fact, we just completed a "dog room" with a raised bathtub, cabinetry for storage, and a radiant heat-tiled floor.
5. Does Kitchen Designs handle the entire project, or do I find other contractors for the flooring, lighting and décor? Our job is to handle the whole design process and installation from start to finish. Kitchen Designs is a full-service turn-key design firm capable of handling all your project needs. NOTE: We can either design the space for you and deliver cabinetry only or we can take care of the entire full-scale project with complete installation including cabinetry, counters, appliances, flooring, windows, doors, plumbing, electric, etc. Our design team, field team, and administrative support team will oversee every detail in order to deliver everything on time and on budget while maintaining our company's high standards and impressive reputation for client satisfaction. We will always strive to give you the most value for your budgeted dollars, never cutting corners on design or quality.
6. What if I want to purchase just the cabinets? You can purchase the cabinets only if you prefer. We would design the project, confirm the measurements, and provide a supportive role for you and your contractor throughout your project.
7. If I have a small budget, will you do my kitchen? Yes, of course. We carry a full line of products that can meet most budgets. Our creative design team can really help you stretch your dollar. What we don't do and won't do is "cut corners." We believe that to be the "Best Price" it always must be a "Complete Price" and meet the client's objectives with products, design, and service that will never "disappoint." If you have a smaller budget, it is even more important for you to put your investment in the trustworthy hands of our professionals. Designs provides you with far more ideas, more inspiration, more attention to detail, more service, and more quality options for your budget. If you choose us to install and do the complete project, our team oversees every aspect of your renovation including all the general contracting, tradespeople, schedules, and project details to ensure a seamless installation. Stop in for a free in-store consultation or sign up for a phone consultation for advice (See #20 below).
8. What’s the difference between working with an Architect or Interior Designer vs. a Certified Kitchen & Bath Designer? We work with allied professionals all the time, these are not mutually exclusive relationships. Usually an architect defines the general space particularly if an extension is involved, and we do the detailing and specific planning. Interior designers help select colors and style but don't generally do the actual layout or drafting.
9. What is a CKD, CBD, and CR? A certified Kitchen Designer (CKD), Certified Bath Designer (CBD) and Certified Remodeler (CR) is a professional who is qualified by education and experience to research, design, plan, and supervise the installation of residential style kitchens & bathrooms, and a CR provides a full range of remodeling services. The expertise of a certified designer lies in researching the personal needs of the client and designing the most functional and aesthetically pleasing arrangement of space. The designer is trained to plan for production line efficiency, cost, and mechanical installation unique to each individual kitchen. They are also experienced in supervising the physical development of the project according to set industry standards, which protect the long-term investments of the client. A CKD & CBD has had to prove his or her knowledge, technical understanding and ability to communicate ideas through a stringent examination process, conducted by the Society of Certified Kitchen and Bath Designers, which is the licensing and certification agency of the National Kitchen and Bath Association. He or she must meet these standards before being awarded the CKD & or CBD designation which assures the client that the individual is a competent kitchen and bath designer. The Certified Kitchen and Bath Designer gives our clients full confidence as certification is based on documented proof of knowledge, ability, and experience in the design of residential kitchens and baths. Furthermore, the CKD, CBD and CR adheres to a strict code of professional conduct which is outlined in the Kitchen and Bathroom Planning guidelines.
10. What brands of cabinets do you install? We carry a wide range of custom and semi-custom cabinetry in a variety of styles and price levels. The brands we offer are Wood-Mode Custom Cabinetry, Brookhaven by Wood-Mode, Bentwood Cabinetry, Allmilmo, Ovation Cabinetry, and Kalamazoo Outdoor Gourmet. (click here to learn more about our cabinetry)
11. What brands of appliances do you sell? We are dealers of numerous appliance manufacturers, both built-in and free-standing, please refer to the products page in the client resources section of the website for a list of these manufacturers and brands. We highly recommend clients purchase their appliance package through us for several reasons. We offer highly competitive and often the lowest prices available for appliances. We do not view appliances as a profit center, we view it as an added-value service part of our business. We do it because it's a win-win. It's a win for both of us because we take the responsibility off of you, we give you the lowest price, and we control the ordering, timing, and delivery of the product. We also know that there will be no last-minute substitutions of a product that somehow don't get communicated to us that could potentially cause problems with the sizing or the installation. (click here to view our client resources link)
12. What is a design fee and why should I pay you for this service? A design fee works to 'reserve' our services, assuring your priority and quality. The design fee is ultimately applied to the total cost of your kitchen remodeling project. The advantage to you in paying a design fee is that not only are a set of plans generated, but you are also hiring an expert design professional that will spend the time needed to educate you and give you all of the tools necessary for a successful design process. The details of the design fee will be discussed in the preliminary consultation phase. All fees are applied towards your project's contract. (click here to see our design fee retainer)
13. Can I keep the design plans? Throughout the design process, you will be provided with various drawings of your kitchen, which include detailed floor plans, perspective drawings, and elevations. The plans will not be released to you until a contract has been signed. Once your project has been purchased, we release your floor plans to you. (click here to see our design fee retainer)
14. Can I get a ball-park price when I visit your showroom before paying a design fee? Yes. If you are remodeling an existing space or building a new home, Kitchen Designs welcomes you to our exciting showroom that features 25 room settings. Upon your visit you will have an opportunity to see in person all of the cabinet lines and also meet our experienced staff. In regards to new construction, it is helpful to bring in your plans. If you are remodeling, bring in your room's measurements and we can give you a rough idea what to expect. (click here for measuring tips)
15. How long have you been in business? 28 years... Kitchen Designs was founded by award-winning kitchen designer Ken Kelly in 1982. Kitchen Designs is a family-owned business with a team of wonderful, dedicated professionals...and we’re very proud to be the No. 1 Wood-Mode dealer in New York doing what we love to do! We pride ourselves on our unsurpassed reputation for client satisfaction. Kitchen Designs has five designers on staff and has been serving Homeowners, Remodelers, Architects, Interior Designers, and Builders (Long Island, New York City, and the tri-state area) for 28 years and would love to serve you too. Kitchen Designs has also been consistently ranked in the USA's top 20 as a Master's Club dealer for the last 20 years.
16. Do you provide cabinetry outside New York? Yes, if you are ordering Wood-Mode or Brookhaven cabinetry for delivery only, we can ship throughout the USA. Depending on your location, we can possibly offer you Bentwood as well. Kitchen Designs has designed and shipped kitchens to Arizona, Colorado, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, and Puerto Rico.
17. Do you have references I can call? Absolutely, we are proud that 90 percent of our business is from repeat and referred clients. We will be happy to provide you with names and references in your area. (click here for client testimonials)
18. Do you have any samples of your work? Photos of our work can be found on the Galleries pages of our website. Here you will see our kitchens, baths, other rooms, design details, and videos. You can also see our work on YouTube's Video Channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/kitchendesignsdotcom. When you visit our showroom, you will see 25 room settings featuring an incredible display of design detail options. Clients often tell us that we have one of the nicest showrooms they have ever seen.
19. Do you offer special pricing for contractors or builders? Yes, we do offer special pricing to custom builders and contractors.
20. What if I have an interior decorator I am working with, and I want you to design the cabinetry? Kitchen Designs continually attracts notable architects, interior designers, builders, and contractors in the Long Island and metro areas. Our designers are uniquely qualified to work with your decorator, creating a truly collaborative effort in which each party brings their specific area of expertise to a project. Often our clients ask if we can refer an architect, interior decorator, or landscape designer, and we are happy to because the best scenario is when allied professionals work together as a team.
21. What if I just need a second opinion? Do you give advice only? We would be happy to give you unbiased personal design advice, a second opinion, or even help with a DIY project. You can sign up for a 1/2 hour or hourly phone consultation with a high-end designer experienced with all budgets. Phone consult pricing: Hourly ($200) and half-hourly ($100). In-store initial consultation is always FREE. Request phone consult here.
OTHER QUESTIONS? Click here to ask your question, and we will add it to our FAQ page.
- Better Homes & Gardens: Beautiful Kitchens and Baths Magazine
- Better Homes & Gardens: Storage Solutions Magazine
- Kitchen and Bath Ideas Magazine
- Dictinctive Kitchen Solutions Magazine
Today's Renovation Magazine
- News 12 Long Island
- Women's Day
- House Beautiful Kitchen and Bath Planner
- Elle Decor
- Metropolitan Home
- Kitchen & Bath Design News
- Builder & Remodeler
- House Magazine
- Book: Designer Kitchens and Baths
- Book: The Art of Luxury Living-Designer Baths
- Book American Country Details
- Book Can't Fail Room Makeovers