Top 10 Must Have Kitchen Gadgets for New Brides and Homes
Designer Cori Schramm of Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly, checks in with her Top 10 Must Have Kitchen Gadgets!
For those of you who love to cook (as I do — see recipes), here are my picks for the the top 10 kitchen gadgets you must have at all times. These are great kitchen gifts for new brides or homeowners. Though they are numbered, they are by no means in order of importance, as I’ve discovered they are all equally important!
1. Wusthof Classic 8-Inch Cook’s Knife: There’s nothing like a great knife when you’re cooking. It can make all the difference. I’d say an 8” is pretty versatile, being equally useful for precision dicing and heavy duty chopping. Wusthof makes a wonderful one. I love mine and couldn’t imagine life without it! (PS …It’s also a great idea to have a knife sharpener handy at all times)
2. Solid Wood Cutting Board: Along with a good knife, you must have a good cutting board. I happen to have several because I keep a separate one for each task. Be sure to read our post about: How to Clean Cutting Boards & Keep Them Safe & Sanitized
3. OXO Salad Spinner: This wonderful contraption makes life so much easier! Rather than washing your lettuce and having to spend the time to wait for it to dry on its own or drying it with a paper towel, let your salad spinner do the work for you. I love my Good Grips. Just a few pushes and you’re good to go!
4. Mixing bowls: You can never have too many mixing/prepping bowls. They are extremely handy when preparing meals. I love a glass or a stainless set, especially if they nest. The glass sets also make for great serving dishes!
5. Colander: A nice and big one! It’s pretty self-explanatory as to why this is a must have. Not just for draining pasta, but for everything. Shown below is a beauty from All Clad.
6. CHEFS Strainer Set: These are really nice because they are made of stainless steel and have an attractive polished rim. The hooks are perfect for hanging.
7. Palm Peeler: That’s right, a palm peeler. This handy gadget makes peeling those veggies quick, easy and comfortable especially for those with mild arthritis, as you’re not gripping anything with your hand. Shown right is one by Chef N. The piece slides directly onto your finger like a ring. tucks into the center of your palm, and its stainless steel blade peels with ease. At the tip is a convenient potato eyer. It cleans perfectly in the top rack of your dishwasher.
8. Electric Can Opener: Hmm….what’s so hard about opening metal cans manually, right? Maybe the sharp edges to cut yourself on? Or the messy clean up? Enough said. An electric can opener is a must! By far, this Hamilton Beach opener is our favorite. Its side-cutting system removes the top and leave a smooth edge so you simply lift off the entire top of the can before pouring. In addition, it is attractive in black and chrome.
9. Slow Cooker: So simple for those who are busy with everyday life. Just throw in your favorite ingredients before you leave for work/ start your errands….and voilà! A delicious meal by the time you arrive home at the end of the day. Great for soups, stews & casseroles. Shown below is one by Breville.
10. Immersion Blender: Quick and easy blending, whipping and pureeing. Great for mashed potatoes, pancake batter, smoothies and so much more! This one below is made by All-Clad and is very durable. It has an extra lone stainless steel shaft for reaching into deep stock pots, and detaches with a twist for easy cleanup and storage.
Related Reading: A while ago we asked our facebook and twitter followers what their favorite gadgets were… here are the survey results. What’s on your favorites list?
Posted by Cori Schramm in Great Gadgets, Products, Kitchen Accessories | Showroom locations: Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly, Inc., 26 Hillside Avenue, Williston Park, NY 516-746-3435 - 11 Bridge Street, Sag Harbor, NY 631-808-3116| ftc compliant – privacy/affiliate disclosure policy | See our favorite kitchen finds at ShopKitchenDesigns.com | View our designs and videos at KitchenDesigns.com